GO AWAY, CORONA

I shudder to hear the number of deaths and positive tests;

My beloved Italia is dying under the weight of this mess.

I try to contact someone important to me

But a sad empty inbox is all my eyes can see...


I pray for the victims and medical helpers and friends

And like everyone else I just keep on asking "When?"

No hugs, no concerts, and even the church is online,

I wish I could give all the world the good health that is mine.


We are filled to the brim with our gifts and good fortune and wealth

So perhaps it's our wake-up call that approaches by stealth,

When we think we have conquered the darkness and truly have won

The corona burns hotly and threatens to blind our sun.


I pray and I know better days lie ahead for us all

But the loss of so many is casting a most dreadful pall

Over life which is so rich and yet often so darkly sad....

We dream of fresh breaths and remember the joy we have had...

Wish away bad corona and bring back the purest bright sun

'Til we smile once again and pretend that we truly have won.


---Copyright 2020 by James Gibson

Comments